An apple a day, keeps the doctor away — is a very old saying. Apple may not be the answer to your health, but fruits are definitely one of the ways of having good health. They are excellent sources of minerals, vitamins and enzymes. Moreover, in many cases the ailments caused by the intake of unnatural foods can be successfully treated by fruits. Fruits are helpful in so many ways. Such as —
* Apples, grapes and many other fruits contain pectin, a soluble fiber that helps regulate blood cholesterol levels.
* Fruits are easily digested and have a cleansing effect on the blood and the digestive tract.
* Fruits are an excellent source of important vitamins.
* Many fruits are high in potassium, an electrolyte essential to maintaining a proper balance of body fluids. Adequate potassium also appears to reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure.
* Fruits are rich in antioxidants that works by preventing cell damage caused by free radicals, unstable molecules that are released when the body burns oxygen.
* Fruits are rich in bioflavonoid which protect against cancer and other diseases.
* Fruits are high in fiber and low in calories, that helps you to maintain a healthy weight.
* Fruits are a good source of natural sugars that provide quick energy with less calorie.
* The carbohydrates of fruits are easily digestible and are completely absorbed. Therefore they are very useful for sick and invalids for rapid energy supply.
* Fruit is also low in sodium so they help reduce the chance of gaining water weight.
* Many fruits contain large amount of fiber that can help prevent constipation.
* Fruits can help prevent wrinkles and help give you a smooth and radiant complexion.
Ways to get the most benefits from eating fruits
* Fruits are at their best when eaten in the raw and ripe state, because portions of their nutrient get lost during cooking or processing.
* Fruits are best eaten on an empty stomach; don't eat any cooked food for at least half an hour after you have eaten the fruit.
* It is also advisable to take one kind of fruit at a time.
* Fruits are most beneficial when taken as a separate meal by themselves, preferably for breakfast in the morning.
Dr Md Shamim Hayder Talukder and Shusmita Hossain Khan
The writers are executives of Eminence. www.eminence-bd.org
News Source: http://www.thedailystar.net